Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Confession about recovery

Having a baby is hard work.  I knew it wouldn't be a cake walk but I didn't expect it to be that hard.  You bleed a lot.... like 9 months worth of no bleeding all in a few weeks.  You are afraid to go to the bathroom.  And you are so unbelievably tired.  I thought it was a joke when people said babies didn't sleep.... well, it isn't a joke.

My typical night looked like this:
Pull myself up the stairs (literally since I had a c-section)
Scooch back in bed.
Wake to feed Jack (scooching to get him out of the bassinet and just sitting right there).
Feed him for an hour, scooch back.
Repeat thirty-sixty minutes later.

By around 3 AM I would hurt too much to scooch anymore and Andrew would have to wake up and hand me Jack. 

I also re- opened part of my incision about 3 weeks out.  My staples had been removed and my stitches had dissolved so I thought I was okay to wear normal underwear again (as in: not granny panties).  I was wrong.  The bow on my underwear opened my incision again.  Now that I can see my incision again its pretty clear that at some point I opened it on the left side as well since the scar is much larger there.

It was exhausting.  I was a zombie.  But now, 4 months later, I kind of miss those sleepless nights.  I love Jack's independence but I miss him needing me so much.  This is why people have second children.

No comments:

Post a Comment